If you've read the previous blogs then you are aware of the challenges we have had with this, let's say, "historic" vehicle...
Now that we have the mechanical issues under control (ok, well, mostly...), we turn our attention to the interior's re-assembly.
Prior to leaving for our 6-week trip to Red Rocks and Joshua Tree in May and early June 2017, the van was completely gutted.
Because we had previously been living out of the van, and because we are also avid campers and backpackers used to minimal living conditions, I thought living out of the van shell would be "easy" - like glamping. Haha! It was surprising how challenging it was to live out of a vehicle shell!
I think what made it a challenge was our crap was everywhere! Even though we organized stuff into bins, shit was always in the way and yet, we could still never find anything! Or, what we needed was way in the back and three layers of bins were in the way!
We couldn't stack the bins because they would fly everywhere and smash Althea as soon as the vehicle moved. I think if we were parked somewhere for an extended period of time, we could have stacked, organized, and created dedicated areas to sit, eat, etc. but we were on the go to a new location to map every single day and, as a result, it just ended up being chaos.
Prior to leaving on this trip we got a couple critical pieces of work done (insulation, fan, bed), then, upon our return to Utah, we identified the next must-have changes to the van to occur prior to having to leave again. We share these changes with you on this blog. I have broken them down into individual segments for two reasons:
(1) it makes it easier to post changes as the transformation occurs and you know what is a new post; and,
(2) to make it easier for those interested in transforming their own camper van to find specific information.
Here are the remodel segments. Un-linked segments will be posted soon!